Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Start

The words of Will Richardson are still ringing in my ears.  Of all the things I've heard, read and learned about over the last couple of months it was Will's statement last week that as teachers we need to be expert learners that is banging around in my head most loudly.  As I have reflected on this I've come to the point where I think if I'm not at least trying to be an expert learner then I'm faking it trying to be a better teacher.

I've been tinkering with Web 2.0 in the classroom for three or more years - yet my my use of it personally is sporadic and fleeting.  Need to change.

I exhort my students to read.  I read mountains of stuff for work and study but my 'personal' reading habit is reflected by the novels gathering dust on my bedside table that haven't been touched for weeks.  Need to change.

I expect my students to write in a variety of genres.  I haven't written creatively for a very long time.  Need to change.

So a beginning.  I'm not sure to what end, but I do know it is time to start.  To engage.

No comments:

Post a Comment